Presentations skills and public speaking skills are very useful in many aspects of work and life. Effective presentations and public speaking skills are important in business, sales and selling, training, teaching, lecturing, and generally feeling comfortable speaking to a group of people.
Developing the confidence and capability to give good presentations, and to stand up in front of an audience and speak well, are also extremely helpful competencies for self-development and social situations.
Presentation skills and public speaking abilities are not limited to certain special people - anyone can give a good presentation, or perform public speaking to a professional and impressive standard. Like most specialisms, this requires preparation and practise.
The formats and purposes of presentations can be very different, for example: oral (spoken), multimedia (using various media - visuals, audio, etc), powerpoint presentations, short impromptu presentations, long planned presentations, educational or training sessions, lectures, and simply giving a talk on a subject to a group on a voluntary basis for pleasure. Even speeches at weddings and eulogies at funerals are types of presentations.
Yet every successful presentation uses broadly the essential techniques and structures. We offer:
A guide to the process of creating effective presentations,
- Tips and techniques for successfully delivering presentations, and
- Explanation and methods for reducing presentation fears and stresses - notably through the use of preparation and control, to build confidence.
Key Learning Points:
- Fear of public speaking - You are not alone - 'Fearlessness in an Assembly
- Understanding and overcoming fear of public speaking - Managing causes and effects
- Confidence and control - Experience, preparation and rehearsal
- Physiology and stress - control/process - Understanding and managing stress
- Tips for presentations and public speaking - a list of helpful pointers
- Tips for using visual aids in presentations - how to bring a presentation to life
- Process for preparing and creating presentations - starting your ideas
- Delivering Presentations Successfully - relax, control, enjoy